We will have soup for breakfast, and soup for lunch. And for dinner we will have broth! - my 10-yr-old son

Monday, July 11, 2011

Sprouted Lentil Patties

I made this recipe from Cara over at Home, Health and Happiness.  I did not call them 'burgers' because I knew my kids would feel cheated without a fluffy bun.

The kids did love these though.  They ate them dipped in homemade ketchup.  Husband and I used guacamole.  I want to mess around with some seasonings to see if I can make these taste more savory or like chicken.  They are nice and crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside, like chicken nuggets.  I wonder how they taste cold - they might be a good grab-out-of-the-fridge snack.

4 cups sprouted lentils, divided
3 gloved garlic, peeled (I used 2 small ones)
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. grated horseradish (didn't use, couldn't find)
1 inch ginger root, peeled
1/4 c. expeller pressed coconut oil, red palm oil or butter/ghee (I used a bit of coconut oil and palm)
2 tbsp. coconut oil, palm oil or ghee for frying (I used tallow)

In a food processor, add 1 cup sprouted lentils, the fat, garlic, salt and ginger (horseradish too if you're using it).  Puree until smooth.  Add the remaining lentils and pulse a few times to coarsely chop - I let mine get pretty small because I didn't want my kids screaming about 'big orange chunks'.  Form patties with your hands and let them fry in the melted oil until browned on both sides.

If you need to know how to sprout lentils, Cara has a good explanation...just follow the link above.

No comments:

Post a Comment