We will have soup for breakfast, and soup for lunch. And for dinner we will have broth! - my 10-yr-old son

Monday, July 18, 2011

Day 19

Breakfast
Smoothie, Caveman Banana Cookies
(Full for smoothie, Full for cookies)

2 bananas
3 c. nuts (soaked and dried) - I used 2 cups almond and 1 cup cashew
1 c. shredded coconut (unsweetened)
2 eggs

Combine in food processor except for eggs.  Once processed place in mixing bowl, add eggs and stir.  You can press into an 8x8 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes OR form into small pattie/cookie shapes and bake for about 15 minutes.

My food processor had a hard time mixing this together (it's a 9-cup brand-new Cuisanart so I think it was the order I put it in, not the machine).  The next time I do this I'll process the nuts first.  Once they are ground I'll add the bananas and coconut.  My boys liked them, but said they were "too coconutty" and "not enough banana".  I might play around with the proportions next time as well.

Lunch
Veggie Pancakes, eggs, avocado, sauerkraut, olive oil
(Full for pancakes - if you didn't use the coconut flour you could make them in Stage 5, Stage 2/3 eggs, Stage 3 for everything else)

1 zucchini
2 large carrots
about 1/3 of a bag cole slaw mix (shredded cabbage)
1/4 an onion

I shredded the zucchini, carrots and onion in the food processor then added it to a bowl with the cabbage.  Sprinkled with two soup spoons of coconut flour and let sit for about 10 minutes.  Added 1/2 tsp. thyme, some salt and 3 eggs.  Mixed well then scooped the mixture onto a warmed cast-iron skillet (with coconut oil).  I had to shape them once the hit the pan and flatten them a bit.

I made the eggs separately and served them on the side.  Three of the six of us really liked these.  I may or may not repeat them.  Somedays I miss potatoes!

Dinner
Salmon Patties, peas, butternut squash pudding, avocado, sauerkraut, olive oil
(Full for salmon patties, Stage 1 for peas, Full for pudding, Stage 3 for everything else)

Being me I had to tweak the salmon patties.  And is it just me or do I make a lot of "pattie" like foods?

2 cans salmon (6 oz each)
1/2 c. shredded coconut
2 eggs
1/2 an onion
a huge handful baby carrots
2 big handfuls spinach
2 cloves garlic

In the food processor I pureed the onion, carrots, spinach and garlic.  Before adding it the bowl with salmon I squeezed out some of the excess liquid.  Mixed everything together and added salt to taste.  Formed into patties and fried with some coconut oil.

I tried to make a hollandaise sauce to go with them, but it wasn't all creamy...a bit thick but still tasty.  I used room-temperature ghee instead of butter.

My husband and I really enjoyed the salmon patties, everyone else just sort of picked at them.  They ate the squash pudding like gang-busters though.

Reactions:
We have some sniffly noses today.  It might be a cold or seasonal allergies or detox.  10-yr-olds eczema is looking really great - there are only a few light pink spots left.

Thoughts:
I'm having a hard time wanting to make soup lately.  Maybe it's because it's 110+ degrees here every day.  Or I'm lazy.  I included soup 3 times in my menu next week so maybe I'll actually get around to making it.  I made a HUGE pot last night and there wasn't any leftover for today.  So much for "planning for leftovers"!

No comments:

Post a Comment