We will have soup for breakfast, and soup for lunch. And for dinner we will have broth! - my 10-yr-old son

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Homemade Lara Bars

I made four versions of Lara Bars today.  Here are the recipes and results.  All of these I would consider Full recipes.  Use nuts that have been soaked then dehydrated and dates/raisins/prunes that have no preservatives.  Because I made most of these into "ball" shapes, my 7-year-old dubbed them "Lara Balls". The Protein Bars listed at the bottom need to be refrigerated, the Lara Balls do not.

Coconut Cream Pie
1 1/2 c. dates
1/3 c. almonds
1/3 c. cashews
1/3 c. coconut

I used 1 cup of dates and 1/2 cup raisins.  In a food processor, mix the dates (and raisins) until it forms a sticky ball.  Remove to a mixing bowl.  Process the nuts (with coconut if it's not already shredded super small) until mostly fine, but with a few smaller chunks.  Add them to the mixing bowl.  With your hands knead the mixture around until it's combined.  Shape into bars or balls.  I opted for balls.  Some people use waxed paper or cling wrap to help in shaping the bars.

This earned 5 out of 6 thumbs up.

Cashew Cookie
1 1/2 c. dates
1 c. cashews

Again, I used 1 cup dates and 1/2 cup raisins.  Process the dates (and raisins) until it forms a sticky bowl.  Remove to a separate mixing bowl.  Process the nuts until mostly ground, with a few smaller chunks.  Add them to the bowl and mix with your hands (sort of like kneading bread) until combined.  Shape into bars or balls.  I opted for balls.  Some people use waxed paper or cling wrap to help in shaping the bars.

This earned 2 1/2 out of 6 thumbs up, with it being "the favorite" of the 7-year-old.

Apple Pie
6 dates
about 1/4 c. dehydrated apple slices
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. honey
1/2 c. walnuts
1/2 c. almonds

In a food processor, process the dates, apples, cinnamon and honey until it forms a sticky ball.  Remove to a mixing bowl.  Process the nuts until mostly fine, with a few small chunks.  Add to the date/apple mixture and mix with your hands until combined.  Shape into bars or balls.  I opted for balls.  Some people use waxed paper or cling wrap to help in shaping the bars.

This earned 6 out of 6 thumbs up.  I may try it with more dehydrated apples next time to make it a bit more appley.  Many of the recipes I saw online used raw apples for this, but said they were runny.  Some also added 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, but I don't like the taste so I left it out.

Protein Bars
2 c. almonds
1/4 c. flax seeds
1/2 c. prunes (or dates or raisins or mixture)
1/2 c. coconut (I left it out)
1/2 c. almond butter
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 c. coconut oil
1 tbsp. honey
2-3 tsp. vanilla (I left it out)

Add all the dry ingredients in the food processor (or blender like Blendtec) and process until almost fine. In a small saucepan, melt the coconut oil.  Then add the honey and vanilla if you're using it.  Add to the food processor and pulse a few times to combine.  Press into an 8x8 pan and let chill in the fridge for about an hour.

This earned 4 1/2 out of 6 thumbs up.

Update July 24:
I made another version which was well received.

Apricot Banana
1/2 c. dates/prunes/raisins
1/2 c. dried apricots
a few handfuls dried bananas (the softer kind, not the hard crunchy kind)
1 c. nuts (almonds, walnuts, cashews, whatever)

Mixed the fruits in the food processor until it formed a ball and removed to a bowl.  Ground the nuts in same processor until only a few smallish chunks left.  Added them to the bowl and mixed with my hands.  Form into bars or balls.  On this recipe I just sort of threw stuff in the processor and eyeballed the amounts.  What is listed above is my best guess.  After a few batches you can figure out the ratio of nuts to fruit by "looking".

No comments:

Post a Comment