We will have soup for breakfast, and soup for lunch. And for dinner we will have broth! - my 10-yr-old son

Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 11

Breakfast
Eggs, snack bars
(Stage 2/3 for eggs, Stage 4+ for snack bars)
I added avocado and cortido to mine, both Stage 3

Lunch
We get home from church around 2:30, 3:00 so we usually just have a BIG snack, not a full meal to tide us over until dinner time

Cashew Cookies
Smoothie
(Stage 3is for cookies unless avoiding honey, Full for smoothie)

I used this recipe for the cashew cookies.  Mine did not look like that at all.  But they were still tasty and felt like a warm cookie in your mouth!  The smoothie had bananas, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, coconut oil and raw egg yolks.  But I didn't tell my kids that.

Dinner
Meatballs with gravy, mashed fauxtatoes, creamy avocado salad...and cortido for some of us
(Stage 1 for meatballs, Stage 2 for fauxtatoes, Stage 6/full for avocado salad, Stage 3 for cortido)

For the meatballs I pureed half a huge onion, 1 giant carrot and a big leaf of kale.  Added that to 2 pounds of ground beef with some salt and pepper.  Formed meatballs to fill a 13x9 pan and smothered them with gravy.  Baked at 375 degrees for 30 minutes then turned up the oven to 400 for about 10 minutes to help reduce the amount of liquid.

Gravy was made by simmering beef broth with 3 large, sliced onions until soft.  Pureed them and let it simmer for an hour or so until it thickened.  Seasoned with salt and pepper.

Fauxtatoes were made from steamed cauliflower then pureed and salted.  Added a touch of ghee as well.

I used this recipe for the avocado salad, but left out the green onions and the hemp oil.  Olive oil would have worked as would flax oil since it's not heated.

Reactions:
5-yr-old told me his stomach hurt all day and that he needed to poop but his stomach wouldn't let him poop.  I'm not sure if it was a reaction to food or that he was a bit constipated.  He ate a fair bit of soaked and dehydrated nuts today so maybe that caused some back-up in the plumbing.  Late in the afternoon he did two big poops and said he felt fine after that.

10-yr-old is not eating, or else eating very little by choice.  And he's super grumpy.

7-yr-old started sneezing Saturday and had a faucet nose for some of Sunday.  Not sure if it's a reaction to walnuts he tried Saturday afternoon or if it's a cold or hayfever.  I got a runny nose on Sunday as well so maybe it's a cold he shared with me.

Thoughts:
I'm trying to figure out how to get fermented foods into my kids and how to keep up on the soup.  I've really slacked off on that which is a huge part of the diet, but the kids are refusing to eat it and I'm too exhausted from all the cooking and dishes to fight them every time.  Plus, we need more soup recipes because it's getting old to eat the same things.  I'm in plan/organize mode trying to collect some recipes and make meal plans and then we'll backtrack a bit or at least have a once-a-day soup requirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment