We will have soup for breakfast, and soup for lunch. And for dinner we will have broth! - my 10-yr-old son

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Day 24

Breakfast
Eggs, Meat and Veggie Sausages, Smoothie, Juice
(Stage 2/3 for eggs, Stage 5 for Meat and Veggie Sausages unless using only salt and pepper, Full for smoothies)

Lunch
Meatballs, Peas, sauerkraut
(Stage 1 for meatballs, Stage 1 for peas, Stage 3 for sauerkraut)

Today's meatballs had one onion, 4 cloves garlic, a giant carrot, a handful of parsley and a monster leaf of nearly indestructible kale.

Dinner
Mexican Chicken Soup, avocado, olive oil (drizzled in the soup), cilantro, sauerkraut, watermelon
(Stage 1 for soup w/out extras, Stage 3 avocado, sauerkraut, cilantro & olive oil, Full for watermelon)

The soup was lovely with all the add-ins.  And yes, we put sauerkraut in the soup and it was GREAT.

Reactions:
I woke up to find my 5-year-old sprawled in the floor, dry heaving.  I got him to the bathroom and he emptied his stomach.  He immediately asked for food, which I gave him as I suspected it was "diet" related and not stomach bug.  He ate a heaping plate of scrambled eggs, a peach, an apple and then got up and played all day.  We let him eat all day long and he was fine.  Most likely it was another dip in blood sugar.  Or that he hadn't eaten well the day before.  My husband and I are currently discussing what we can do to avoid this and to make sure this child doesn't develop digestion/food issues that he didn't have before we started GAPS.

In other news, we have some mildly constipated kids and the darn eczema just isn't budging.  He told me that it's so bad now that he can't lay his legs on the sheets at night without it hurting.  Diet?  Laundry soap?  Fabric?  It's a puzzle I can't seem to solve.

Thoughts:
I'm still brainstorming on snacks...trying to find healthy, inexpensive snacks that don't take a ton of prep work.  It's discouraging to spend an hour in the kitchen making a "batch" of snacks and watch them eat it all in one sitting!  We've pretty much lifted the fruit ban and are letting them eat it when they want, as snacks, with meals, whenever.  Their morale has improved a lot and I think they feel more relaxed knowing that they have instant access to food if they are hungry instead of me saying, "Just give me 30 minutes or so and I'll have a snack ready."

No comments:

Post a Comment