We will have soup for breakfast, and soup for lunch. And for dinner we will have broth! - my 10-yr-old son

Monday, July 11, 2011

Meatballs on Top of Red Mountain

My boys all looked at it funny, but it was seriously yummy.  We even invented a song for it -

On top of Red Mountain
All covered with broth
I lost my poor meatball
When somebody coughed.....

Meatballs
1 large carrot, peeled then pureed
1/2 onion, pureed
1 to 2 pound ground beef
1 to 2 tsp. sea salt 
(pepper would be good too, but only one of my kids likes it)

1 to 2 cups beef broth (for simmering)

Mix carrots, onion and salt with the ground beef.  Bring the broth to a boil in a large pan.  Once it's boiling, form the beef mixture into meatballs and gently place into pan.  Reduce heat, cover with the lid and let simmer for 30 minutes or so.  I took the lid off after that and let some of the broth evaporate (reduce) so it wasn't quite so soupy.

For the Red Mountain -
I brought a large pot of water to a boil, added a bit of salt and then the following:
1 beet, chopped
3 large carrots, chopped
several handfuls butternut squash
1/2 head cauliflower, stalks removed
1 zucchini - big chunks

I added the beets, carrots and squash first.  After they had softened up a bit I added the cauliflower and after 5 to 10 minutes added the zucchini.  When they had all been boiled into submission I drained the pot and added a bit of chicken broth.  I attacked them with my immersion blender until they were totally pureed.  The result was a deep red pile of mushy veggies (with a green fleck here and there - I should have peeled the zucchini).

To serve I put a pile of Red in a bowl then scooped a few meatballs on top with some broth.

They devoured the meatballs.  I could have easily doubled the batch and they would have eaten them too.  It was more work to get them to eat the Red Mountain. 

No comments:

Post a Comment