We will have soup for breakfast, and soup for lunch. And for dinner we will have broth! - my 10-yr-old son

Monday, July 11, 2011

Almost Borscht

I have a borscht recipe that I love but we aren't eating cabbage or celery yet and we're avoiding tomatoes so I improvised with this.


Almost Borscht
Beef broth - 2 or 3 quarts (about half the soup pot)
Veal/beef stew meat, cut into bite-size - I used almost 2 pounds
a few handfuls baby carrots, sliced
3/4 an onion, diced
2 beets, peeled and grated

The beef broth was full of fat and marrow so I heated it until the huge chunks were melted then blended the heck out of it.  Added the rest of the stuff and brought it back to a boil then lowered the heat and let it simmer for 30 to 45 minutes.  This was so delicious.  All but one kid ate this cheerfully.  We don't normally eat veal, but it too was on clearance so I scooped up a few packages.


As written it is Stage 1.  At Stage 3 you can add celery and cabbage.  You could also add sauerkraut to the soup at Stage 3 which is super tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment