We will have soup for breakfast, and soup for lunch. And for dinner we will have broth! - my 10-yr-old son

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day 23

We're just going to pretend that Day 22 didn't happen. It was a Murphy's Law day and pretty much everything I made didn't work, didn't taste good, had blenders fall apart in it and other such awful things.  I even called my husband and told him to pick up pizza and then cried and told him not to.

So, for Day 23....

Breakfast
Smoothie, Apple Pie Lara Balls, fruit
(Full for smoothie and Lara Balls)


The kids found out that I put raw egg yolks in their smoothies today.  The 7-year-old politely requested that he have a smoothie without egg yolks.  I told him he'd been drinking them for the past 2 weeks so he "manned up" and drank his cup.  Then had another!

We're adding fruit (fresh or frozen), whey, coconut oil, raw egg yolks, flax seed oil and water to the smoothies.

Lunch
Tuna roll-ups, sauerkraut
(Full for the "rolls", Stage 3/4 for tuna w/mayo, Stage 3 for sauerkraut)

These darn rolls were not uniformly lovely.  They came out all different weird shapes.  They were a little dry and tasted "eggy" according to one kid.  They held together without ripping and worked just fine for what I needed them to.

I mixed some tuna with homemade mayo (I'm not posting the recipe until it's perfected).  Some of us added sauerkraut to the roll.  I added some diced raw onion and celery to mine as well.

Dinner
Honey Mustard chicken, green beans, raw carrots, avocado, sauerkraut, olive oil
(Stage 5 for chicken unless waiting until Full for honey, Stage 1 for green beans, Stage 6 for raw carrots, Stage 3 for avocado, sauerkraut and olive oil)


In a small bowl I mixed about 2 or 3 tsp. of mustard, a few spoonfuls of honey and a big spoonful of ghee.  Drizzled over the chicken (in a 13x9) pan and baked at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.  It was a little bland and needed salt desperately.  The kids snarfed it down though so it's a recipe I'll tinker with in the future.

Reactions:
We're having some constipation issues with some of the kids...and me.  I gave them some of our old probiotics (with some GAPS illegal ingredients) and they pooped sometime that day.  5-year-old is complaining that his stomach hurts, all day.  I had a MASSIVE headache as did the 11-yr-old.  Maybe we didn't eat enough for lunch?  The two oldest and I were out 'school' shopping until almost 3 and then ate lunch.

Thoughts:
I need to do better about having portable snacks for when a meal will be late.  I also need to find a child friendly probiotic that isn't uber expensive and still GAPS legal (or mostly).  Chewable or powder works best since 3 of them can't swallow pills!

1 comment:

  1. If you want to get some fermented vegetables into the tuna fish/roll ups, try diced pickles. I use them in my tuna fish. I also make deviled eggs and just plain old egg salad when I'm not feeling like messing with the deviled eggs (I also find that the fresh pastured eggs often don't wind up peeling so "neatly" to make deviled eggs). Adding some of the pickle juice to the egg salad is also delicious, if you don't mind it being a bit runny. I'm guessing diced or shredded "dilly carrots" might also be delicious. Haven't tried it yet, but just though of it. Chicken salad (I do my home made mayo with the boiled chicken from making broth) is also a good place to put diced pickles.

    ReplyDelete