We will have soup for breakfast, and soup for lunch. And for dinner we will have broth! - my 10-yr-old son

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Day 18

Breakfast
Smoothies, Russian Custard w/cut up fruit
(Full for Smoothies, Stage 6/Full for Custard and raw fruit)

Lunch
Pancakes, fruit
(Stage 6 for banana pancakes, Full for coconut pancakes, Stage 6/Full for raw fruit)

We always get home from church late (2:30/3:00) so we have a big snack instead of a big meal.  I made two different kinds of pancakes today.

The first was this "banana" pancake from Grain-Free Foodies.  I sort of punted on the egg part.  I had a lot of egg whites left over from the custard and yolking the smoothie so I dumped in my bowl of egg whites (maybe 7 or 8 eggs worth) then added 3 whole eggs.  It worked.  The kids ate them fast.

I tripled the recipe.  How will I ever feed all these boys?

The original recipe reads:
1 banana
2 tbsp. peanut butter (or any nut butter)
3 eggs

Mix together (my stick blender did much better than the hand mixer) then cook.  If the pancakes got too big I couldn't turn them without ripping.

The second recipe was for coconut flour pancakes.
6 eggs
6 tbsp. milk (I used homemade coconut milk)
splash vanilla (I skipped that)
2 tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder (did not use)
6 tbsp. coconut flour
1/4 c. melted coconut oil

Mix all but coconut oil together.  When mostly blended (again, I used my stick blender) add the oil and blend some more.  Let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes then blend again.  I tried making these into "little" pancakes like the banana ones but they tore like crazy.  These pancakes wanted to be big.  They were very crepe-ish and turned extremely well once I made them larger.  I can see them working very well as a wrap or "tortilla", maybe even as a noodle in a casserole, especially if you left the honey out.  The recipe made about 10 big pancakes (size of a tortilla) and 8 little ones.

Dinner
Borscht, sauerkraut
(Stage 1 if no celery or cabbage, Stage 3 if you add them, Stage 3 for sauerkraut)

We added the sauerkraut into the borscht and it was wonderful!  I added celery and cabbage for the first time since being on the diet.  I don't use the white sugar or lemon juice listed in the original recipe.  I'm also leaving out the tomato juice and sour cream for now.

Reactions:
Nothing I can note.

Thoughts:
Chasing the fermented cod liver oil with carrot juice works well.  Water just doesn't get rid of the taste or the oily feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment