We will have soup for breakfast, and soup for lunch. And for dinner we will have broth! - my 10-yr-old son

Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 2

Our last puke of the day was around 8:30 am.  The 11-yr-old and 5-yr-old didn't eat breakfast - they woke up, used the bathroom (or puked) then went right back to bed and didn't wake up until 1:00 pm.  The 7-yr-old ended up taking a two-hour nap this afternoon.

Breakfast
Beef soup consisting of:
a large steak w/bone (about 2 pounds)
3 large carrots, grated
1 turnip, diced
1/2 a head of cauliflower, stalks removed
1 onion, diced
a few handfuls of cubed butternut squash

I put the beef in the crockpot (raw) with all the veggies and let it cook overnight.  To serve I ladled soup into the bowl then broke off a hunk of meat and shredded it.  One of the boys said it tasted like grass and the other only picked the beef chunks out.  My husband and I both thought it tasted great.

Lunch
Leftovers
Husband and I ate the soup from the morning.  The boys that were awake ate the beef soup from yesterday afternoon.  I also boiled up some broccoli and peas.

Dinner
Meatballs on top of Red Mountain
My boys all looked at it funny, but it was seriously yummy.  We even invented a song for it -

On top of Red Mountain
All covered with broth
I lost my poor meatball
When somebody coughed.....

Meatballs
1 large carrot, peeled then pureed
1/2 onion, pureed
1 to 2 pound ground beef
1 to 2 tsp. sea salt (pepper would be good too, but only one of my kids likes it)
1 to 2 cups beef broth

Mix carrots, onion and salt with the ground beef.  Bring the broth to a boil in a large pan.  Once it's boiling, form the beef mixture into meatballs and gently place into pan.  Reduce heat, cover with the lid and let simmer for 30 minutes or so.  I took the lid off after that and let some of the broth evaporate (reduce) so it wasn't quite so soupy.

For the Red Mountain -
I brought a large pot of water to a boil, added a bit of salt and then the following:
1 beet, chopped
3 large carrots, chopped
several handfuls butternut squash
1/2 head cauliflower, stalks removed
1 zucchini - big chunks

I added the beets, carrots and squash first.  After they had softened up a bit I added the cauliflower and after 5 to 10 minutes added the zucchini.  When they had all been boiled into submission I drained the pot and added a bit of chicken broth.  I attacked them with my immersion blender until they were totally pureed.  The result was a deep red pile of mushy veggies (with a green fleck here and there - I should have peeled the zucchini).

To serve I put a pile of Red in a bowl then scooped a few meatballs on top with some broth.

They devoured the meatballs.  I could have easily doubled the batch and they would have eaten them too.  It was more work to get them to eat the Red Mountain.

Everyone seems to be feeling better now.  We did get some juice and have been giving tiny, tiny amounts of it.  And making them drink lots of water.  We also (gulp) bribed them to eat more veggies by saying, "If you eat 5 bites of broccoli you can have more juice" and so on.  It was seriously just a swallow or two but it was enough to get more food in them today.  I have a slight headache, but that could be due to little sleep last night and cooking all day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment