We will have soup for breakfast, and soup for lunch. And for dinner we will have broth! - my 10-yr-old son

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 7

We've made it through one week!

Breakfast 
Eggs, sausage, almond bread
(Stage 2/3 for eggs, Stage 5 for sausage due to spices, Stage 4 for bread)


Everyone had scrambled eggs today.  I found some sausage with no sugar added so they each had 3 links of that.  I made the Intro Almond bread listed for Stage 4.  Two of the four boys really liked it, one picked at his and the fourth said it was 'not good'.  I really need to work on serving a vegetable with breakfast too....it's just so foreign to me!

To make the bread I used:
2 1/2 cup almond flour
1 zucchini, peeled and pureed, but not cooked
6 eggs
2 tbsp. beef tallow, melted

Mixed together in a bowl then poured it into a loaf pan, oiled with tallow.  Baked at 350 degrees for 40 or so minutes.  I forgot to add the salt (1/2 to 1 tsp) which I think would have helped significantly.  The bottom stayed stuck in the pan so I'll have to figure out how to grease it better.

Lunch 
Baked chicken nuggets and cooked carrots for kids
(Stage 4 for chicken nuggets, Stage 1 for carrots)
Baked chicken nuggets, carrots, cortido and avocado for mom (Stage 3 for cortido and avocado) - I had a bowl of lamb broth to drink but it was so gross (I hate the smell of lamb broth) that I couldn't choke it down.

I breaded the chicken in two different things - one batch of almond flour and one of crushed pecans (soaked and dried) with a bit of sea salt mixed in.  I used beef tallow and ghee at the bottom of the pans to prevent sticking.

Carrots were cooked on the stove until soft.

Dinner
Chicken and veggie soup
(Stage 1)

a few quarts of chicken broth
a few handfuls baby carrots, sliced
3/4 a big onion, diced
zucchini - cut into small pieces
broccoli - stalks removed
ground chicken - 1 pound
salt and pepper to taste

Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until veggies are soft.  I actually added them in two bunches.  I cooked the carrots and onions first, then once they were almost soft added the broccoli and zucchini.  Bring soup back to a boil and drop in small pieces of ground chicken.  Simmer until chicken is cooked through.

Everyone said this was good.  I would have prepared something else to go with it but I was running late and had to go to a meeting.

Reactions:
We let the 5-year-old eat some fresh fruits between meals - blueberries, strawberries and apples.  He was a much happier child today.

The 10-yr-old woke up sick and started dry-heaving.  I put him in a detox bath and gave him some juice and he started feeling better right away.  After breakfast he said he was much better.  I think he was just hungry and his blood sugar was low.

Everyone else seems to be progressing well.

We've now used all our lovely pastured, free-range eggs and I can't make the 90 minute drive to get more until Saturday.  Because of the expense and time involved we're probably going to start using "store eggs" for baking and "farm" eggs for eating when we're eating 'just eggs' or putting the raw yolks in soups/broth.  Not the ideal, but I don't have a local source here and we went through 8 dozen eggs in a week and a half!!!!!  One day I'll live in a place where I can raise my own chickens and then it won't be so much of a problem.  Except that each chicken will need to lay 5 to 6 eggs a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment