We will have soup for breakfast, and soup for lunch. And for dinner we will have broth! - my 10-yr-old son

Monday, July 11, 2011

Cashew Cookies

We tried these yesterday and they were a huge hit.

3 c finely ground cashews/cashew butter
2 eggs
1/2 c honey

Blend cashews in a food processor as long as you can stand. The smoother they are, the better the cookies. Transfer to a bowl and mix in eggs and honey. Batter will be soupy/gloppy. A little time in the fridge helps. Drop in gloppy spoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet and bake at 350ยบ for 10-12 minutes. They will spread, fluff up, and finally turn golden brown. Allow to cool on the pan before transfering to a cooling rack. Or your mouth. Makes 2 dozen large cookies, or 3 dozen smaller ones. 


Mine did not spread out like hers, they stayed in the shape of balls.  Perhaps I used too many nuts - I measured out 3 cups of cashews (soaked and dehydrated) then turned those into nut butter.  I mixed the eggs and honey in the food processor which may have also made a difference because it was THICK, not soupy/gloppy.  I didn't use the full 1/2 cup of honey, just a few drizzles.


I had an idea for making nut butter in the future though....my kids love a spoonful of nut butter for a snack so if I know they will be eating it right away I'm going to add a few raw egg yolks while processing the nuts.  It doesn't change the taste or texture but adds important fat and vitamins/minerals.

No comments:

Post a Comment