We will have soup for breakfast, and soup for lunch. And for dinner we will have broth! - my 10-yr-old son

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Curried Lentil Soup

I made this several days ago and froze 3 quart-sized bags of it.  I have since re-heated one and it didn't effect the taste or texture.  The soup was okay, but not nearly "curried" enough for me.  I LOVE curry.  It's rather an obsession of mine.  In fact, it was sort of bland.  I like the concept of the soup (nourishing, filling, inexpensive) but need to tweak it a bit.  One of the boys said it needed "bits of meat".  I agree.  When I re-heated it I added some cooked steak and it greatly improved the flavor.

The original recipe is found here.

3 large onions, chopped
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp. butter or ghee
2 tbsp. coconut oil or tallow
2 quarts stock (any flavor will work)
2 c. red or brown lentils*
1/2 tsp. dried green peppercorns (I will leave out next time...it didn't add)
2 tbsp. curry paste, red, green or yellow (which may or may not have GAPS legal ingredients -read the label carefully)
sea salt or fish sauce, to taste

In a large soup pot, cook the onions and carrots in butter/ghee and coconut oil/tallow until soft.  This takes about 30 minutes on medium low.  Once the veggies are soft, add the stock and lentils and bring to a boil.  Skim off the foam, reduce heat and add the curry paste.  Cover and simmer until the lentils are soft.  Mine took about 45 minutes.  Puree with an immersion (handheld) blender.  I left it about half chunky, half pureed.  Season with salt (or fish sauce) and pepper to taste.

*Soak the lentils at least 7 hours before cooking with 3 tbsp. whey or apple cider vinegar and filtered water.  Use a bit more water than covers the lentils.  Drain and rinse before cooking.  Green and brown lentils don't turn mushy or dissolve like red lentils tend to do.

We all added sauerkraut to it (which was great) and some tried it with kimchi.  Also great.

Some additions I tried when I re-heated and would definitely do next time around:
chopped avocado
garlic cloves (1 per bowl or else in the pot of soup)
cooked meat (beef, chicken or pork)
olive oil - drizzled on the top
fermented food - sauerkraut, kimchi, etc.
sautéed, chopped greens - spinach or kale

Lentils can be eaten when you reach the Full Stage of the diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment