We will have soup for breakfast, and soup for lunch. And for dinner we will have broth! - my 10-yr-old son

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Crockpot Chicken Curry

You know you found a good recipe when your 10-year-old comes up to you the next morning and says, "That was some good curry you made yesterday".

I followed a recipe from The Well Fed Homestead.

I used 3 different kinds of squash, all uncooked -
1/2 butternut squash, small cubes
1/2 acorn squash, small cubes
1/2 spaghetti squash, chunks about 2 inches long and 1/2 an inch wide

I threw all those in the crockpot and added:
1 LARGE onion, diced small
one can coconut milk (I should have used homemade but didn't)
1 to 2 cups chicken stock (I just ladled it in and didn't measure)
3 tsp. curry powder (I added another 1 tsp. later)
2 tsp. salt (and added more later)

Stirred it all together and let it cook for 7 or so hours, on low.  Instead of adding cooked shredded chicken to the crockpot, I cubed some chicken and fried it up on the stove (in coconut oil) and stirred it in the crockpot right before serving.  I liked the texture better that way.

It had a good flavor and texture.  I served it in bowls because it was a little soup like, closer to chili.  Two of the boys ate it with no problem (one had seconds).  The little boys picked the chicken out.  This fed our family of 6 dinner and then lunch the next day.

Because of the coconut milk this is Stage 6.  You could probably make this in Stage 5 (due to spices) if you added more broth instead of the coconut milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment