We will have soup for breakfast, and soup for lunch. And for dinner we will have broth! - my 10-yr-old son

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Chicken "Lo Mein"

This is a variation on the Stir Fry....and tonight it went like this.

2 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
4 chicken sausages, also bite-sized

Cooked them up in a skillet until browned.

Added:
several handfuls baby carrots, cut into matchsticks
1 head broccoli, crowns only

Cooked until softish.  I did add a bit of water here and there to make sure it didn't burn.  I wasn't going for tender-crisp, but soft-tender.  It would have been much better to add chicken broth, but I had none.

When everything was basically cooked I added:
salt to taste
2 medium zucchini turned into "noodles"

Cooked a few more minutes until zucchini was warmed through and soft.

The kids inhaled this and later told me it was "really, really, really, really, really, really good".  I think I might have missed a few reallys in there...but they liked it.

This would also work well with beef and/or shrimp or other sausages.  It would also be great with onions.  Sadly, my kids only eat onions in soup.

I'm thinking it's a Stage 4 when you start baking things and cooking them on the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment